About the Product Excellence Awards program
From the outset, we at Cigar Sense have been focused on assessing cigars in two main dimensions:
- The overall quality of the cigar, as measured and reported by our trained tasting panel
- The degree to which each cigar meets each individual user’s personal preferences
While there are many ways one could assess product quality, we are focused not on the various steps of the production process, but on the final outcome as measured by attributes like the draw, burn, absence of off-flavors and others. These attributes are relatively objective in the sense that a clean steady burn, for instance, is universally considered good. In other words, these quality attributes are generally not a matter of personal preference – virtually everyone could agree on what is good and what is not.
Other characteristics, though are matter of personal taste. Which aromas and flavors each of us likes or dislikes are individual preferences, not universal measures of quality. Over the years, in order to serve our members, we have always assessed both and used them to give personalized cigar recommendations to our members. Cigars which do not meet our standard for quality are never recommended to anyone – those which do are recommended to users based on their degree of fit to each user’s tastes.
With some years of history now assessing cigars across tens of thousands of blind-tested samples, we’ve seen some products clearly rise above others. These are not necessarily the highest priced, most heavily marketed or highest scored cigars, but those that demonstrate excellent quality and consistently please our users.
We are excited to launch our Cigar Sense Product Excellence Award program, in order to give recognition to those cigar companies producing premium cigars that:
- consistently meet high standards in terms of draw, burn, production consistency, sensory and other key quality indicators, and
- meet a majority of consumers’ preferences much better than other cigars.
All cigars in our database are candidates for the award program, regardless of the cigar company size or of their relationship to Cigar Sense. Today we are able to reliably base our measurements on:
- the independent blind tests performed by our panel of trained tasters
- the validated data of our growing number of members for whom we have inferred preferences with a consistently high level of accuracy (~90%).
The exclusive recognitions will be limited to 25-30 per year and will be presented to the respective cigar companies representatives by Cigar Sense.
IMPORTANT: If you own a premium cigar production company, kindly make sure Cigar Sense knows how to contact you in case one of your products is eligible for an award:
- we’d love to share with you a synopsis of the cigar analysis supporting how we decided to offer the recognition
- we tested over 2000 cigars and want to make sure the awards do not go to discontinued products, which would be hard to find for consumers.
While these awards do not guarantee that any given consumer will enjoy the cigar, they do attest that the cigar fits the needs and desires of a large portion of consumers. If you wish to find out how the Product Excellence Award laureates match your unique preferences, you can log-in or sign-up for free.