A sensory course for cigar tasting is not just about knowing how to taste a cigar,
or how to identify flavors in a cigar,
it’s also about deepening the experience,
knowing the why’s
and being fair to our cigars and to other cigar lovers.
“A Cigar Tasting Course” is a sensory course for cigar lovers who already know how to cut and light a cigar, and are looking for a deeper understanding and appreciation of what they experience when they taste.
- You can smell and taste food, but when it comes to a cigar, you are stuck. You struggle to identify and describe what you sense, and you would like to master the skills.
- You are willing to give cigars a fair chance when you rate them.
- You have been disappointed by the usual advice you get. Many people can tell you what cigars you should buy, but not so many can explain why you are disappointed by what you read or hear about a cigar. And what to do about it. In the end, your taste is the best. You are probably better off in nurturing it, rather than trying to conform to other people’s tastes.
- This course will help you deliver a more authentic story to your customers, one that will create more intimate connections between them and the cigars you are trying to market.
- Being fair and accurate when discussing the sensory characteristics of cigars is the road less traveled, and you can own that niche.
- Consumers evolve and continue to deepen their knowledge. Decomposing the precious feedback that educated consumers want to share with you can be a game changer.
This sensory course helps you taste cigars consciously, making your main senses and your mind work to your advantage. The course has been reviewed by our sensory advisor (PhD in sensory sciences), it is based on scientific references and applies some of the sensory analysis tools.
We believe that understanding the complex interactions among the leaves, the smoke, our senses and our mind, constitutes the keys to a fair assessment of cigars.
“A Cigar Tasting Course” includes:
- Downloadable resources (tables, tasting sheet example, additional reading and listening)
- Access to additional Cigar Sense webinars
- Direct email access to the course creator
- One Q&A call with the course creator
- Course completion certification
Don’t take our word for it:
“The course is excellent, it is fun and a great tool, not only to enjoy and better appreciate the cigars, but also for us to present our products with more solid information and come across as more professional.”
– Rene Castañeda, President at Villiger Cigars North America
”Enrolling in this course was the best investment I have done referring to cigars”
– Karl-Heinz Klang, Germany
“I am finding the course very interesting. It gives aficionados a more scientific approach to cigar tasting, which is not typically addressed by the cigar industry.”
– Yannis Levy Ratynski, Vicepresident Diadema SpA (Habanos importer and distributor in Italy)
“Lots of good information and definitely worth the time spent. This will assist me when, in front of customers, I’ll go through some of these exercises. It will also help me identify different tastes and smells myself. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Excellent information.”
– Lois Siler, Regional Sales Manager at Villiger Cigars North America
“Thank you! I’ve not finished it yet but I’m very impressed and interested by the quality and clarity of the information! Terrific job!!”
– Roberto Fregna, Italy
“Cigar Sense is the champion of the sensory experience for our industry in many ways.”
– Matt Booth, Founder at Room 101 Cigars
“I’ve learned more, and enhanced my appreciation and enjoyment of cigars more, in the short time I’ve been in Franca’s group, than I did over the course of 30 years of cigar smoking.”
– Jim Yankowsky, USA
About the course author, Franca Comparetto:
Franca is the creator and co-founder of Cigar Sense. She obtained her Professional Taster (ISO 8586-1/2) and Sensory Panel Leader certifications from CIAS (Centro Italiano Analisi Sensoriale, Matelica Italy). Franca also completed further studies (Understanding Consumer Preferences, Emotions, Expectations, Individual Differences, Contexts and Product Characterization) at SISS (Societa’ Italiana di Scienze Sensoriali, Florence Italy) and is a member of the Society of Sensory Professionals, Minnesota USA. With the assistance of an expert sensory advisor, she set up the Cigar Sense analysis process and currently trains expert panelists for the performance of descriptive blind tests that feed the Cigar Sense cigar profiles database. She also carries out the daily management of Cigar Sense.