This episode is based on our article Sensory analysis, a misunderstood discipline. Franca explains some key factors that drive misconceptions when it is about sensory analysis:
- it deals with subjective data
- sensory science is a young research area
- anyone can evaluate cigars
- many expert tasters
- many obsolete tasting guides
- a lot of academic literature, little sharing of benefits among non-academic communities
- companies like to tell consumers what to sense, even if it’s wrong
- why should marketing teams believe results from sensory tests that are inconsistent with their own evaluations?
- why, on the contrary, is there trust on influencers, who also publish totally different results (but help sell)?
There are certainly more points and we will update our article where appropriate.
If you have any comments to the episode or to the article, please email Franca, your comments might be included in our next episode.
Listen to episode 51 “A new profession in the cigar industry”
We have no external sponsor and the people we accept/invite on our podcast are not paying us for the exposure we offer them. Just like for the Cigar Sense membership and our educational resources, what we provide is independent information.
Following us and writing honest reviews will help us keep the podcast alive and address the topics that you find most interesting. Thank you for your support!