Episode 11 of the Cigar Sense Podcast is dedicated to the growing and fermenting of tobacco for the premium cigar industry with the New Tobacco Project of Benoit Pirard.
Benoit is a young Belgian bio-engineer. He lives in Nicaragua, where he learned all about tobacco at Mombacho Cigars: first as intern, then as tobacco leaf manager. He started the New Tobacco Project and now grows and ferments cigar tobacco for the premium industry.
In this episode, we discuss:
– what it means to grow tobacco in Condega, Nicaragua, and apply environmentally sustainable methods
– the imperative elements that need to be found in cigar tobacco
– the off-flavors that indicate defects in tobacco
– the natural way to produce a maduro wrapper
– the ideal tobacco buyer for the New Tobacco Project
– the impacts of regulations on tobacco growers
– a proposal with respect to regulations